Thursday, January 3, 2013

life in kenya.

Isaiah 61:1
"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has annointed me to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness
for the prisoners..."

For the first 2 weeks I was here, all i could do was wonder why I was here. It's hot. Sweaty. Completely overwhelming. And the first time I got onto a matatu (14 passenger van that really has over 20 passengers that they use as public transportation) i thought i was going to die. But then i got back from the bush (more on that later) and saw our African castle. And i just got an overwhelming love for this place.

We are here to DO Isaiah 61:1. And although i'm realizing we may not see the impact that we have here, we are making a difference through Jesus. God has done an incredible work in our team alone. We are becoming more unified each day. Sometimes I'll look around at everyone at the end of the day while we're eating dinner and i can't believe how it worked out that we're all here together.

My week in the bush:
Oh man. It was incredibly hard. It was just 4 of us from my team that went with a church in Mombasa. The trip was over Christmas, So not only was i already away from my home on christmas, i was away from my home in africa as well. However Christmas day changed my entire outloook in life. I preached on christmas day, and although i just gave a typical christmas message, i had a good time.I also decided to get over myself and move on from being homesick and pathetic. One thing that comforted me the whole time i was in the bush was that i was called there. No one asked me to go. I volunteered. And if God hadn't told me to, i wouldn't have volunteered myself.
The bush taught me obedience. Patience. Love. And also, that sharing a squattie with someone bonds you for life. :)

So yeah, i miss my family and friends. But i sincerely love this place. The specific village we're in, Msambweni, desperately needs hope and light. The kids neeed parents who know how to parent. And the people just really need to know about Jesus and His life.

This past week we've been doing sunday school in the morning with the kids and then painting in the afternoon. Someone on our team designed the paintings for the school at blessed camp and that's what we've been working on since i've been back from the bush. I really enjoy what we do.
I'm so blessed to be here. The people are so beautiful, and some of the most welcoming people i've ever met. Everywhere we go, if the kids aren't saying "Mazungu!", they're saying "Caribu!"
*Mazungu means white in swahili. baha.
caribu means welcome.

I know i'm come home a different person. My eyes have been opened to the world. Jsut being in this small corner of Africa has completely changed my outlook on life. I would love to come back to Action ministry in 5 years and see how they're doing. They prayed consistently for a team like ours.are quite literally an answer to prayers. And I reallly think we're only laying the foundation for them. I feel like this minstry will explode in the next 5-10 years. Life is beautiful here. With all my love to everyone. Know that i miss you guys, but i'm right where i'm supposed to be. Next adventure, Nicaragua!!
 P.s HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

*prayer requests
-strength, endurance, energy for our team
-hope, light and restoration for Msambweni

LOVELOVELOVE



No comments:

Post a Comment